Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Real Value of the Stradivarius

While I am at work I often like to listen to Pandora to keep me focused. My favorite Pandora station is the David Garrett station. I am in love with his music. I find myself having a desire to play my violin so I can play like David Garrett. Realistically, I have hardly picked up my violin in a decade; thus the likelihood that I sound like David Garrett when I play is less than likely. Plus the violin I play is not a Stradivarius which puts me at a further disadvantage. The violin that has the best sound should be played by the person who will play it.
           
A Stradivarius Violin made in the early 18th century is worth millions of dollars. Antonius Stradivarius, the master violin maker, perfected violin making such that even today the best violins are the ones he made 300 years ago. The value of these instruments is not in the name brand and the age; but rather it is the sound that these instruments make when they are played.
           
There are hundreds of these violins still around. Many owned by master violinists like David Garrett. Others are placed in display cases for others to see. These violins on display are useless. They might be pretty and a very expensive piece of artwork. But, that is not where their value lies. The value of the Stradivarius lies in the quality sound made when it is played. A violin in a box is nothing compared to a violin that is tuned and being played by the master.
           
What do I find I leave in a box or even in a display case rather than playing it? Perhaps my talents. Maybe my scriptures.
           
The value of my talents and the value of my scriptures are not in how pretty they look in a display case. The real value in my talents and in my scriptures is most certainly, like the Stradivarius, in how they are played.

No comments:

Post a Comment