Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pioneer Trek

Tonight Jogie attended with me a reunion fireside for those who participated on the Youth Pioneer Trek. I went as a big sister leaving Jogie behind to focus on school. It was so nice to see some of my little siblings from the trek; it was also nice to see pictures from the trek.

The great lesson that I took from the trek was that I can do hard things. Walking for miles and miles is hard. It is painful. I felt so dirty, and exhausted, and sore. Yet I did it. I along with the youth that were in my family proved to ourselves that we can push through and do something hard. We can put one foot in front of the other and we can reach our destination. When a tougher trial comes that is painful and overwhelming I know I can start walking and before long that trial is behind me. And as I look back on that trial I have a sense of triumph that I did it.

The most moving part of the entire trek experience for me was the silent march. During this one of the kids from our family was taken ahead one mile. They represented people who had died on the trail. The rest of us continued on without this one family member pushing along with us. I found I really missed that one family member that had gone on ahead. I missed him really bad. I knew at the end of one mile that he would join our family again. But, it was so hard to keep going without him in our midst. Because of the Plan of Salvation I know that when family members die it won’t be forever. We will see each other again. Despite knowing that we will be together again it is still hard to keep going when your heart hurts so much. I realized that I can feel sad about the separation and still have a testimony of eternal families.

Since I went on the trek by myself I found myself really missing Jogie. We had hardly been apart since we got married a year ago. I wanted that hug and kiss goodnight. I wanted him to sit close to me during the chilly evening of the testimony meeting so I would stay warm. I wanted him to hold my hand as our blisters developed blisters. While I was missing Jogie; he was missing me too. When I returned it was clear that he was so happy to have me back home and I felt so loved. Though Jogie was unable to directly experience the trek; he was able to vicariously experience the pioneer trek through me. The fireside that we attended tonight together was, therefore, just as personal to him as it was to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment